Wattwatchers is seeking a Senior Python Developer to join our Sydney-based team.
Seniority Level: Mid-Senior
Essential: Python; Postgres; Linux; SQLAlchemy; SQL
Optional: Internet of Things; AWS; Apache Kafka; redis; django; Docker; Agile environment; Smart Grid
Industry: Computer Software; Information Technology & Services; Utilities
Job Functions: Information Technology; Engineering
About the company
Wattwatchers empowers energy users with real-time energy data so they can make smart energy decisions. We enable fast, powerful, scalable solutions to monitor, analyse and control electrical circuits in real-time through the cloud.
Wattwatchers already has tens of thousands of devices in the field, transmitting real-time energy data to the cloud in the order of 100,000 data points per device per day. This data is processed by our infrastructure, and accessed by our customers via the Wattwatchers’ public API.
We are a for-purpose company, with goals to create a fair and sustainable energy sector. Our customer- and device-base is growing rapidly, and we have ambitious plans for new services to customers, in addition to our continued focus on security and performance.
About the job
We are seeking a Senior Python Developer with a back-end focus to lead the design and implementation of the distributed software pipeline that receives, processes and stores the energy data coming from our devices. In this role you will also be responsible for the components of our system that make this extensive dataset available to customers (such as our REST/JSON API.)
In doing so, you’ll be ensuring the system is built in a cost-effective, high-performance and resilient manner while handling our expected growth and new features as they are rolled out.
We’ve recently revamped our core architecture, so you’ll be working with a clean code-base built using current tools and approaches, engaging interesting tech like Kafka, Docker, redis, Python, and Postgres, on AWS infrastructure.
Wattwatchers provides an integrated hardware, communications, and software solution, so you’ll be in the thick of it—it’s a unique opportunity to not only write great code, but to see and help define how all the pieces work together—firmware, communications, software and hardware.
You’ll be working in a small, dynamic, informally-dressed and smart team where your contribution really counts. Wattwatchers is a lean “scale-up” with a flat management model, which means you’ll work collaboratively with others in engineering, and also business and product development personnel, and you’ll engage directly with a tech-minded CEO. You’ll have a strong influence over what is built and the direction of our products and services; but you’ll also have to do your bit on customer support (estimated 20% of your time).
While our office is located in St Leonards, Sydney, we are open to, and well geared to support flexible and remote working arrangements.
Want to dive deeper into the Internet of Things? Is designing and building a scalable, distributed software system your kind of challenge? Does applying your Python skills to making a positive difference in the world appeal to you? If the answer is “yes” to any of these, this could be your ideal role…
To be successful in this role you will:
- Hold advanced Python and related web-technology skills;
- Have experience delivering server-side software in a high-volume production environment;
- Have strong written and verbal English-language communication skills;
- Love constantly learning on the job;
- Have the ability to keep the big picture in mind as you work in and on the details;
- Thrive working within a team with solid experience with agile development methodology and online coordination tools (like Slack, Trello, Jira, Github etc.);
- Be comfortable juggling multiple tasks and responsibilities, and have a strong “get in and get things done” attitude.
The benefits for you
- Central role in a dynamic and growing team
- Remuneration ($90–120k + SGC commensurate with experience)
- Office located close to PT and Crows Nest cafe strip
- Flexible (incl. remote) working options
- Eligibility for Short and Long Term Employee Incentive schemes