An innovation platform for demand-side networks
With favourable Government policy settings on energy efficiency, a price on carbon, growth in distributed generation and renewables, peak load pressures and rapidly rising energy prices, the market for managing energy demand is set to explode.
With utilities concentrating on the supply side of the smart grid, the demand side is wide open for a range of new, disruptive business models and services to help businesses and householders participate in the market and save money.
Wattwatchers technologies provide the platform for innovation and growth in many sectors.
Sub-metering for large Energy Service Companies, ESCO’s
(Energy, Facilities, Environmental and Carbon management companies)
- A more flexible and granular layer of intelligence in building performance analysis, reporting, and cost allocation to existing clients for the same budget.
- A broader new-client base with a more economical ‘cut down’ version of their existing BMS/EMS, using web-based managed services.
- Demand-side response and aggregation over a broader (or even a localised, constrained or renewables area) customer base.
New business models for Energy Service Providers
- Diversify a current specialty business into a ‘trusted adviser’ for overall energy. management (Energy Management Service Provider) model in alliance with other specialist providers.
- Add value or bundle to existing service and gain ongoing customer relationships
- Create a monthly income stream by installing a basic energy management system with a subscription service to provide ongoing analysis, advice and verification.
- Aggregate customers for Government energy efficiency incentives.
Added value and differentiation for Energy Retailing
(Energy retailers, Telco’s, ISP’s, Appliance retailers)
- Add energy management as a new bundled, added-value subscription or on-bill monthly fee service for customer acquisition and retention.
- Differentiate service as an energy efficiency leader with energy efficiency information ratings, buying clubs and on-line personal advice.
- Tailored plans and offers to customer base segments, based on accurate energy profiling.
- Create an own-branded Energy Saving Network for customer loyalty.
Staff Engagement for Corporates
(Professional Services, Distributed Corporates, Banks, Insurance)
- Improve sustainability reputation and show category leadership by engaging staff in a culture of work-and-home related energy efficiency.
- Run internal department or inter-office competitions and incentives programs to reduce energy consumption.
- Aggregate total savings to reduce carbon offsets or share Government incentives.
Activation for Membership Organisations and Communities
(Environmental and Membership organisations, Councils, Schools, Local communities)
- Demonstrate civic leadership and promote benefits of energy efficiency with real-time community research from the membership base.
- Create a content-specific Energy Saving Network around membership values or local community objectives.
- Organise a buying club around all things ‘energy efficient’.
Demand-side data for Government, Research and Energy Regulators
(Government Benchmarking and Demonstration, University research, Market Testing)
- Provide quantifiable, qualifiable and ongoing research into household energy benchmarking, conservation and efficiency.
- Collect data to construct or monitor government incentive or intervention schemes.
- Provide the ‘eyes and ears’ for monitoring real-time behaviour in critical situations involving peak loads, weather conditions and distributed generation.
For more information
For a personal discussion on innovation and new services contact us.
Go to Energy Saving Networks pages.